J. K. Rowling drew negative attention from Native people for what she did in her work Magic in North America. The mistakes she made were common–very common–and also easily avoidable. In this Master Class, Native scholar and activist Debbie Reese talks about the missteps Rowling and many other authors have made, why they are a problem, and offers writers strategies for avoiding them and doing better.
This $55 Master Class includes:
- 1.5 hour lecture covering…
- Native Nationhood and Sovereignty
- Representation and Impact
- Cultural Appropriation
- Language and Naming
- Spiritual Traditions
- Stereotypes and Tropes to Avoid
- Researching Native Americans for Fiction
- Worldbuilding for Speculative Fiction
- An extensive list of resources
- A transcript
All videos include closed captions. Resources are in PDF format.
Who Should Take This Master Class?
The webinar is appropriate for all writers (fiction, plays, comics, TV, movie, and games included) from all backgrounds and any skill level.
Still not sure? Watch this teaser: